Telegram is among the most popular messaging apps in the whole wide world! It is a platform that was founded in 2013 by some Russian entrepreneurs. Since then, it has become a top-rated and widely used messaging app. Telegram is like other apps, such as Viber or WhatsApp, where you can chat with your friends, send them photos and videos, emojis, stickers, files, make phone calls, and more!
Telegram requires you to have an internet connection to use the app. If you do not have Wi-Fi or your mobile data turned on, you will not be able to receive or send messages to others. One interesting thing about Telegram is that it offers its users the ability to have private and encrypted chats. In other words, those chats cannot be viewed by a third-party person. It is cool if you want to have some kind of privacy when chatting with your friends online.
If you are new to Telegram and do not know how to use it yet, don't worry, we are here to help you. Today we will teach you how to make and edit your channel on Telegram.
Steps to create a Telegram channel on your Android phone
- You will first need to open the Telegram app on your phone to continue the steps (we assume you have it downloaded and installed).
- When the app opens on your screen, look for the pencil icon. It is usually located somewhere in the bottom right corner of your phone’s screen. Once you find it, click on it to open some more options.
- Once the new screen has opened, look for the New Channel option and tap on it.
- Another new window is going to open up. In it, you can give a name to your new channel and add a description to it. The Description should be short and about the channel's topic.
- When you finish writing everything, click on the checkmark in the top right corner of your phone’s screen.
- You will now be asked whether you want to make your channel public so that everyone can join or private so that only the members you invite can join. Choose whichever you want, and once again, click on the checkmark in the top right corner.
- If you want to make a private channel, you will be taken to your contact list, where you can send them an invitation to join your channel. Simply click on that user’s name to add them. Once done, click on the checkmark.
Now you have successfully made a new channel on Telegram!
If you want to share your channel with others
If your channel is public, you might want to share it with others so that it can gain new members. There are two ways that you can do this.
You can share the channel within the Telegram app or the channel outside of the app.
Sharing the inside of the app:
Just open a chat with someone, type in the @thenameofyourchannel, and send that as a message. They will be able to preview and join.
Sharing outside of the app:
You can use this to share it on other social media t.me/thenameofyourchannel.
How to edit a Telegram Channel
You can edit your Telegram channel to change your profile picture, channel name, etc. Here is how to do it.
- Open the Telegram app and tap on your channel.
- Tap on the channel name or profile picture.
- Look for the edit icon (gray pencil icon) and tap it. The edit icon is usually located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Here, you can change the channel name, add or change the profile picture, add a description, and more. When you are done editing your channel, don't forget to tap the checkmark in the top right corner of the screen to save the changes.