Messaging has become a ubiquitous form of communication, and it's no surprise that social media platforms have integrated their own messaging services. Facebook is one such platform, and its messaging service is called Facebook Messenger. However, Facebook also offers another messaging app called Messenger. This may leave some users wondering if there is a difference between the two. In this article, we'll explore the similarities and differences between Messenger and Facebook Messenger.
What is Messenger?
Messenger is a standalone messaging app created by Facebook. It was launched in 2011 as an extension of Facebook's messaging service, allowing users to send messages without needing to log in to Facebook. Messenger is available for download on both iOS and Android devices.
What is Facebook Messenger?
Facebook Messenger is the messaging service integrated within the Facebook app. Users can access it by clicking on the Messenger icon in the top right-hand corner of their Facebook newsfeed. Facebook Messenger was also launched in 2011 and has since undergone several updates and changes to its functionality.
Similarities Between Messenger and Facebook Messenger
Since both Messenger and Facebook Messenger are created by Facebook, they share many similarities in terms of functionality. Some of these include:
- Messaging: Both apps allow users to send and receive messages.
- Voice and Video Calls: Users can make voice and video calls through both Messenger and Facebook Messenger.
- Group Chats: Both apps allow users to create and participate in group chats with friends.
- Stickers and Emojis: Both Messenger and Facebook Messenger offer a wide range of stickers and emojis to add to messages.
Differences Between Messenger and Facebook Messenger
While Messenger and Facebook Messenger share many similarities, there are also some key differences between the two. Some of these include:
- Standalone App: Messenger is a standalone app that can be downloaded separately from Facebook. On the other hand, Facebook Messenger is integrated within the Facebook app.
- User Interface: The user interface for Messenger and Facebook Messenger differs slightly. Messenger has a more streamlined and simplified design, whereas Facebook Messenger has a more complex and feature-rich interface.
- Compatibility: Messenger is available for download on both iOS and Android devices, whereas Facebook Messenger is available only on Android devices.
- Additional Features: Facebook Messenger offers additional features not found in Messenger, such as the ability to send money and play games with friends.
In conclusion, while Messenger and Facebook Messenger are both messaging services created by Facebook, there are some key differences between the two. Messenger is a standalone app that can be downloaded on both iOS and Android devices, while Facebook Messenger is integrated within the Facebook app and is available only on Android devices. Additionally, Facebook Messenger offers additional features such as the ability to send money and play games with friends. Ultimately, the choice between Messenger and Facebook Messenger will depend on the user's preference and needs.